The ophthalmology department in College of Medicine, Qassim University was established in 2001. The department contributes with the rest of college department in the educational process, research and patient care related to diseases of the eyes.
Our vision is to achieve a national leader section and international prominent place for the ophthalmology department in education, research, administration and community services.
Aiming to achieve regional and global excellence in education, health care services and administration in order to do leading researches in field of ophthalmology together with expansion of both undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- Show responsible and compassionate behaviour with the patient and family considering the cultural, social and economic background, and in dealing with all levels of education and abilities.
- Use the required communication skills for taking appropriate history and conducting ophthalmological examination in oph. Department.
- Appreciate the role of perfect understanding of basic science (anatomy, physiology and biochemistry) and the underlying pathophysiological processes relevant to ophthalmology practice, in the diagnosis and management of different ophthalmological situations.
- Be acquainted with the epidemiological profile of the population and society, their heritage and cultural, social, geographic and economic characteristics, and relationship of all those to the etiology and management of different ophthalmological disorders.
- Have the knowledge and skills necessary to identify the health problems of a patient: emergency ophthalmological situations, and disabilities.
- Opt for the wise selection of the most appropriate and cost-effective investigations to reach the proper diagnosis, considering the patient rights and abilities and the capabilities of the health system.
- Interact effectively with other health teams (and appreciate the role of others) in providing medical and surgical services.
- Continue independent learning in ophthalmology.
1-Describe the anatomy of the eye and orbit, including the innervation and action of the extraocular muscles and explain the clinical effects of paralysis of each of the extraocular muscles & types of squit .
2-Draw the visual pathway and explain how other organs are likely to encroach on the visual pathway and explain its importance in neuro-ophthalmological localization .
3-Describe the eyelid & lacrimal apparatus, and explain different malpositions of the eyelids and the mechanisms and malfunction of Lacrimation &Epiphora.
4-Explain the causes and presentation of the major errors of refraction & keratoconus and methods of correction .
5-Explain the involvement of the eye in various systemic diseases mainly hypertension,diabetes, multiple sclerosis, thyroid disease and increased intracranial pressur with describtion of various retinal and optic nerve disorders .
6-Presented with a real patient with glaucoma, corneal ulcer, cataract, uveitis, conjunctivitis and scleritis or similar verbal or written scenarios: use his/her basic and clinical science knowledge to explain the underlying mechanisms (structure, function and pathophysiological processes) and his/her basic clinical skills to reach a diagnosis and suggest appropriate management including health promotion, protection, prevention, treatment, complications, rehabilitation an follow-up
7-Presented with a real patient with an orbital (proptosis) , intraocular mass (retinoblastoma & uveal malignant melanoma)and eye injuries & emergencies, or similar verbal or written scenarios: use his/her basic and clinical science knowledge to classify the condition and explain the underlying mechanisms (structure, function and pathophysiological processes), and his/her basic clinical skills to suggest a differential list and outline further steps in diagnosis and management including health promotion, protection, prevention, treatment, complications, rehabilitation an follow-up.
- Teaching the ophthalmology course to 4th year students.
• Teaching clinical skills to 3rd year students.
• Teaching at dental collage.
- Teaching ophthalmic emergency to 5th year students.
1- Exam committee.
- Research Committee.
- Community service committee.
- Sultan Alzuhairy. Head of department
- mohamed abdelkader . Course organizer.
- Abdullah Altorbaq.
- Mansour Almohaimed
- Sultan Alrashidi
- Dora Alharkan
- Naif Alsuainae.
- Ahmed Alaraj
- Abdulaziz Alhadlaq.