The Pediatric department, College of Medicine, Qassim University is concerned with teaching the pediatric course. The course is entitled for all undergraduate 5th-year medical students in semesters 11 and 12. The major emphasis of this course is to enable the students to develop the attitudes and acquire knowledge and skills in pediatrics and its scientific basis.
This is achieved by exposing them to the environment they are going to work in after graduation through full participation in everyday activities in the hospital program which include case presentations, journal clubs, morning meeting briefing in addition to scheduled lectures, seminars and clinical bed-side teaching which are all problem-based and small group learning. Students will acquire and apply medical knowledge and skills that lead to the diagnosis and management of relevant pediatric illnesses within the hospital setting. The required pediatrics clerkship is ten weeks long, the last week is for assessment.
Goals: Our primary goal is to provide an academic and clinical learning experience that will enable the medical students to be competent in child health with special skills in the diagnosis and management of pediatric disorders affecting all ages from the newborn infant and during early childhood and adolescence.
Objectives: The student should develop the attitudes and acquire knowledge and skills which qualify him/her to:
1. Show responsible and compassionate behavior with the child and family considering the cultural, social and economic background, and in dealing with all levels of education and abilities.
2. Use the required communication skills for taking appropriate history and conducting medical examination.
3. Appreciate the role perfect understanding of basic science (e.g. anatomy, physiology and biochemistry) and the underlying pathophysiology) relevant to pediatric practice in the diagnosis and management of common child illnesses.
4. Be acquainted with the epidemiological profile of the population and society, their heritage and cultural, social, geographic and economic characteristics, and relationship of all those to child health and disease etiology and management.
5. Have the knowledge and skills which help him/her to observe and maintain the healthy physical, psychological and educational development of the child.
6. Have the knowledge and skills necessary to identify the problems of child health and their management, including emergency situations, common child diseases of endemic or epidemic etiologies, and disabilities, including health promotion preventions, treatment, rehabilitation and follow up.
7. Opt for the wise selection of the most appropriate and cost-effective abilities and the capabilities of the health system.
8. Interact effectively with the child health team and other teams (and appreciate the role of others) in providing child health services.
9. Continue independent learning in pediatric sciences and practice, and pursue postgraduate studies.
Research: the pediatric department is conducting researches in different pediatric health problems especially those of relevance to the community and local environment. Department of Pediatrics is committed to enhancing and facilitating research in pediatric science and adopting the successful development of researchers enthusiastic to the generation of new knowledge, through research. The goal is to advance science that can be rapidly applied to the understanding, treatment and prevention of pediatric disease.
Community Services: the pediatric department doctors are well trained in their pediatric specialty and have extensive experience providing care from age one day to age 16 years. The University pediatric clinics and the future hospital provide clinical care tailored to the needs of children and their families. We care for the whole family and spend time answering questions, listening and taking the time to make treatment options clear and understandable
Supervisor of the pediatric department: Dr Muhammad Suhaibani
1- Professor Ahmad Settin
2- Dr Jalal Bilal
3- Dr Yasser Farouk
4- Dr Khaled Hashim
5- Dr Ashwaq AlEed
6- Dr Ahmad Alfares
7- Dr Aisha Almutairi
8- Dr Aqeel Alaqeel
1- Exam Committee
2- Research Committee
3- Community service Committee
Email or the head of department: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email of pediatric department: email@example.com
Email of the department secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number of the secretary: +966163800050 Ext. 2165